Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.
– Khalil Gibran
Serenity is the next iteration of Ethereum. It is a major shift to a markedly advanced platform packed with foundational improvements to power the future of the most prominent programmable public blockchain. Ethereum is a Turing complete platform, able to execute any code as written given enough computational resources.
Net, we expect Serenity will lead to a collapse in the price of transactions and much higher throughput, which will ultimately drive wider adoption of DApps. This will drive an increase in demand for gas (gas is the network computation and is paid for with ETH) and increasing scarcity for ETH (as ETH is locked up for staking), both of which could be positive for the value of ETH.
Ethereum’s Serenity Is A Complete Rebuild
Ethereum’s Serenity update is a paradigm shift from Ethereum 1.0, offering serious upgrades over the current platform.
The most important change is switching Ethereum’s consensus mechanism from proof-of-work (PoW) to proof-of-stake (PoS) which shifts from massive electricity usage and high upfront costs surrounding mining equipment to a software light validation technique. To avoid confusion, PoS is also referred to as Casper.
In PoS, users will stake ETH to become a validator, which means users will lock away their ETH to process transactions on the network. This helps solve the “principal agent problem” as those who own the network will be securing it, versus in PoW where miners and token holders have different incentives.
Serenity will also feature eWASM, which expands the coding options and capabilities for the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) to allow code to execute faster.
Serenity’s economic finality will also make it practically impossible to revert transactions, and offers stronger guarantees over PoW systems. This offers more confidence in the system since the value of the system is more resilient to change.
Most importantly to the community, Serenity will feature throughput 2 orders of magnitude or higher than current levels to support new and expanding use cases. This will be achieved through layer 1 solutions including sharding and layer 2 solutions (Plasma, ZK-Snarks). These solutions are a runway and not a light switch, as some layer 2 solutions are gaining traction today such as Loom Network.
Subscribe To View The Rest Of This Report
Choose from a monthly or annual subscription (save over 15%).
Tom Shaughnessy owns tokens in Ethereum (ETH). This research is strictly informational and is not investment advice. Do not buy or sell any securities based upon this research. This research strictly reflects our views and opinions which can be wrong. 51percent did not receive compensation to create this report, outside of our subscription paying members. Cryptocurrencies are extremely risky amount numerous factors (price, volatility, new entrants) and is a nascent ecosystem. By reading this post you agree to 51percent’s full terms and conditions.
- Additional Disclosures:
- 51percent is not a FINRA registered broker-dealer or investment adviser and does not provide investment banking services
- The author did not accept fees, stock or other compensation for preparing this research report. The only fees 51percent earns is through paying subscribers to 51percent, the companies (or entities, since networks or protocols are not all companies) themselves do not compensate 51percent.
- 51percent was not hired by the covered entity/company to prepare the report.
- 51percent and its authors will not receive compensation from the entities covered in this report for non-report services such as presenting at author sponsored investor conferences, distributing press releases or other ancillary services.
- The covered entities in this report are not required to engage with 51percent regarding any non-report related services.
- The entities covered in this report have not previously paid the author in cash or in stock for any research reports or non-report related services
- Compensation is not received on any basis (fixed or contingent on positive opinions in this report) since 51percent is only compensated by paying subscribers to 51pct.io and not the companies or entities mentioned.
- The author, Tom Shaughnessy, owns tokens in Ethereum, MakerDAO, 0x Protocol, HYDRO, Civic, Polymath and Gladius. These are subject to change.
- This report belongs to the author, not any entities mentioned in this report.
- This report is based on publicly available information about the entities covered, and the authors consider them to be accurate and reliable.
- The report is disseminated primarily electronically and is made available to everyone at the same time.
- This report is not investment advice, it is strictly informational. Do not trade or invest in any tokens, companies or entities based upon this information.
51percent Crypto Research provides institutional crypto research spanning extensive reports on specific projects to unbiased thought pieces on the industry for analysts, hedge funds, family offices asset managers and investors. The firm offers detailed valuation models, actionable picks and an industry leading podcast featuring the top leaders in crypto. Learn more at 51pct.io. 51percent also offers an industry-leading crypto research podcast (iTunes, Spotify and Podbean).